Published by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), this report is a result of the Law Enforcement Suicide Data Collection Act which was passed to better understand the factors related to law enforcement officer suicides and attempted suicides. The Law Enforcement Suicide Data Collection (LESDC), managed by the FBI, provides law enforcement agencies with a system to report data about officers who have died by or attempted suicide. For the FBI’s inaugural release of this information, as an infographic, 22 agencies from law enforcement, corrections, telecommunications, and the judicial system provided data for the 2022 Law Enforcement Suicide Data Collection. The LESDC Act requires the collection of certain data such as:
- Circumstances and events that occurred before each incident;
- General location of each event;
- Demographic information of each law enforcement officer;
- Occupational category of each law enforcement officer; and
- Any wellness or counseling resources the reporting agency offers.
A copy of the full report can be read at https://tinyurl.com/2v98bpby